Monday, November 19, 2007

Dreaming of a White.... Thanksgiving?!

So, yesterday was November 18th, more than 30 days prior to the official beginning of winter. And yet, we had our first snow of the year here in Central PA. And I'm not talking about a little bit of snow in the air that disappears as soon as it hits the ground. We had a legit snowfall, somewhere between half an inch and an inch. Now, obviously that's not a whole lot, but it was right around the record for snow this early in the season, and it was easily the earliest I can remember the ground being legitimately snow covered in at least the last 10-15 years. And the snow, combined with the evening timing of it's arrival, was enough cause people to start driving into each other and the like.

And I'm bitter about it.

Don't get me wrong here. Winter is probably my least favorite of the 4 seasons, but I'm far from a winter hater. I typically enjoy snow, especially once it is done falling, has been cleaned up off the roads, and is just laying on the ground making things white. My problem is that, due to summer deciding to stick around an extra month or so, and now a very early arrival to winter weather, it looks like we've only wound up with about 3 weeks of fall, which is in a close race with spring for being my favorite time of the year.

I blame Al Gore.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

White Thanksgivings are fairly common around here. A few years ago, a snow man was made on Tim's parent's front yard. :)

Scott said...

Yeah, it was in the 40s and rained the last two days, and is apparently supposed to get up to 60 tomorrow, so we won't even get the white Thanksgiving out of the deal.

Screw you, Al Gore!

Amanda said...

It was indeed a white Thanksgiving. Four inches of snow has fallen so far. I wonder how much will be on the ground when we get up tomorrow morning. :)