Monday, December 22, 2008

Praying for spring...

Of course, given that today is only the 2nd official day of winter, that does seem a bit futile right now.

Man, it's cold, and I'm just not ready for this kind of cold - negative wind chills this morning.  I'm just thankful that Monday is the day I drive to work and park a few feet from the door, as opposed to the rest of the week, where I have to stand and wait for the bus.  I think had I been taking the bus today, I would have waited for the later bus, which takes a slightly different route which allows me to watch for it from my parked car and get out right as it arrives.  That wouldn't have been helpful this afternoon, however, because I can't do that from my building, and it was still only in the low 20s, and very windy at that time.

And I love my dog dearly, but if I have moments of regret regarding getting him, they are on days like today.  No matter how much I want to stay inside, I still have to take him out - or let him ruin my basement carpet.  These are the kind of days where the latter at least momentarily sounds a viable plan.

I'm not sure there's much that beats coming home on a day like today and stepping into a warm house - a luxury all too easy to take for granted (as I learned last winter during an overnight power winter power outage).  Well, yes, there is something that beats it, and that is coupling it with a nice steamy mug of hot chocolate, with a blanket over your legs and a warm, furry dog laying beside.

(But I'd still trade all of that for an early spring)

 

No comments: