Sunday, July 05, 2009

The build-up

Okay, sorry for the delay here. As I mentioned in Monday's post, I was not feeling very well. Apparently I picked up a pretty nasty head cold on the flight home that had really laid me out by Tuesday night. It wasn't until Thursday that I was really starting to feel better, and then Friday, I pretty much just slept as my body was begging me for recovery time. Yesterday I had a family wedding, and so here we are.

So, anyhow, I met my Mom and Dad in Seattle and we spent two very enjoyable, though not very restful, days in the city with my cousin who is attending Seattle Pacific University. We did many of the standard tourist things, such as visiting the Space Needle and Pike Street Market. All of these things involved much walking (finding parking is a significant issue in Seattle, at least where we were), which afforded me a good chance to better break in my hiking boots. It also tired me out really good, particularly the first day. As you may have guessed already, relaxation was not really the dominant theme of this particular vacation. I also picked up a minor foot injury that I was concerned might be an issue on the hike, but really wasn't.

So, on Sunday evening we hopped on a plane and flew to Northern California, where we were met by my aunt, uncle, and grandpa at the airport and then rode back to my uncle's to spend the night. Monday was actually a pretty laid back day, as we did some various visiting, picked up some supplies and packed up for our adventure. On Tuesday, we drove up to Yosemite, had a picnic in the park, and then headed over to our home away from home, away from home for the next couple days.

Having settled in, Mom, Dad, Megan, Tim, and I set out to do some "warm-up" hiking to see some of the easier to get to sights of Yosemite. Our first hike was maybe a mile and a half or so round trip (I suck at estimating distances, so take that for what it's worth) to the base of Yosemite Falls:
Next up was an even shorter hike (under 1/2 mile round trip) to the Bridalveil Falls.


To be completely honest, that would have been enough hiking for the trip for me. However, that was obviously not the plan, and we headed back to the house for dinner and final preparations. The plan was to be on the trail by 5:30 am, which would require leaving the house by 5, and getting up no later than 4:30. So, as I got into bed around 10:30, I was already wondering if 6 hours of sleep would be enough to take on this crazy task I was up against. As it turns out, that should have been the least of my concerns. We were staying at about 6000 feet above sea leval, and the altitude, probably coupled with the anticipation of what was to come in the morning, led to an almost sleepless night. I think I might have fallen asleep for about 30 minutes at one point, but I'm not sure, and that was absolutely the most I got. I was not the only one in the house to report the same kind of night.
So, whatever uncertainties I had had about this climb (and whether I even wanted to do it) were magnified as we rounded up everything in the van and drove down to the trailhead.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Beautiful pictures. I love hiking and hiking to waterfalls is especially awesome. (If you ever hike in Kentucky, I'd suggest going to see Cumberland Falls.)