Monday, March 01, 2010

Training secrets: Lessons in what NOT to do

So, I learned a few things today, some things I thought I would share with you all - some great tips for fitness training.

#1 - Lesson #1: Do not take 10 full days off from running after a couple weeks where you were already running less than your training plan.

Okay, this one is just flat out common sense, and it wasn't my intention at all. However, the weather initially knocked me off my rhythem. The last weekend of January was bitter cold, like 15 for highs, and I know some people wouldn't be deterred by that, but I'm not going to spend almost an hour out in that to run 6 miles. So, I missed my first long run. Then, the following weekend, we got 18 inches of snow, which ruled out running for that weekend. Then, we got another 18 inches of snow from Tuesday night through Wednesday. So, I was officially knocked off of my rhythm, and over a couple weeks went from running 4 or 5 times a week, to maybe 2. So, then, the combination of more weather, schedules, etc led to a 10 day hiatus.

#2 - Lesson #2: If you fail to heed lesson #1, do not resume training with speed work the first day.

Okay, this is a little less obvious, but I probably could have figured it out. After all, my last entry over a month ago documented my hatred of speedwork - what did I really expect to be like when I had allowed my fitness level to dip? And really, I was very, very close to not doing the speedwork today. However, I had really determined that I needed to get back on my schedule this week, and Mondays are speed work. I told myself it would be okay, because due to my decline and then full layoff, I had decided to reset to the beginning of my training plan, which meant I would only run 3 intervals (1/4 mile each), as opposed to the 5 I was doing before the break. Of course, I had decided to go from 1/4 mile of jogging between intervals to 1/8 of a mile, so that was probably a wash, at best, but I convinced myself otherwise.

#3 - Should you stubbornly ignore lesson #2, do not run a time at or near your personal best on your first interval.

Okay, this was a total accident. It had been a couple weeks since I ran intervals, so my sense of pacing was off. I was obviously quite well rested, so I felt very, very good. I didn't check my time at any real midpoints, and since I don't pay that much attention to any kind of mid-splits when doing intervals, I probably wouldn't have realized what it meant anyhow. When I looked down at my watch as I was getting close to the finish, I realized I was going to run my best split ever. This is not a good plan for the first interval under ideal circumstances, but really, really bad when you've been out of the game for a bit. My plan had been to run splits a good 10 seconds above (roughly 10-15% slower than) the time I was now heading for. I coasted to the finish and still ended up just above my best. Uh oh...

#4 - Upon failing to acknowledge the wisdom of lesson #4, consider modifying your plan of attack so that the 2nd interval doesn't finish on an uphill slope.

This was just an oversight on my part. My typical plan of attack on intervals has been simple - run the 1/4 of a mile out, and then jog back in. However, to cut down to 1/8 of a mile in between intervals, the plan was 1/4 mile out, quick little 1/8 mile loop, 1/4 mile back in, 1/8 mile loop, 1/4 mile back out, jog home. With the typical plan of attack, the full out run starts out going slightly down hill for maybe 1/3 of the distance, then flattens out, and when I loop back around, I'm jogging, so I don't really notice the incline that much. Let's just say I noticed it coming back this time. Had I thought things all the way through, I would have abandoned my original plan and just stuck with 1/4 mile rest in between intervals after I ran that blistered first split, but I figured, no worries, I'll just dial this one back a little. Yeah, that didn't go so well. This incline is not severe at all, I actually use it as the finishing stretch for my laps when I'm doing longer runs, and I like how it works. However, when you're running full out and already really feeling it, any incline kills.

So, having ignored all 4 of these lessons, I was left to run an absolutely horrid 3rd interval, feel like death at the end of it, and to walk most of the way home rather than jog. But, on the bright side, I did get back out there, and I learned all these valuable lessons, which I shall heed the next time... probably.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ah, life is an adventure. ;)