Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Getting ready for "Country's biggest night"

If you've watched anything on ABC over the last several weeks, you know what the title refers to. Well, perhaps that's not accurate. If you've watched ABC at all, you've heard about that to which the title refers, whether it ever registered with you or not is a seperate matter.

Tonight is the Country Music Association (CMA) awards, and they'll be broadcast on ABC from 8 to 11. Get those DVRs ready, baby! Okay, so I know a decent chunk of my readership doesn't share my passion for country music, but I absolutely love the CMAs. I really don't care that much about who actually wins the awards, but no one puts on a better award show than the country folks, that is if you like actual performances as opposed to tons of random fluff and filler. The acts that perform on CMA night are ALWAYS a veritable "who's who" of the current country crop, and this year is no different. Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, George Strait, Keith Urban (meh, but he's at the top of country right now), Sugarland, Taylor Swift, and of course, Carrie Underwood, who is also sharing hosting duties (in HD, at least in my house. Sweet, glorious Carrie Underwood...), among others. The one notable exception in terms of the current super-hot acts is Rascal Flatts, and I'm pretty much okay with their absence. These are all great singers and great performers, and I expect nothing less than an incredible show this time around as well.

So, I'll be glued to my TV later tonight. And, I'd encourage any of you who sit firmly in the "I hate country" camp, but who haven't actually really listened to any country in years to take a quick pit stop while channel surfing. You might be surprised. Did I mention that Carrie Underwood will be live in HD? Because she will.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've inadvertently heard recent country music and, uh, yeah, not impressed. :)

Sorry, Scott. Enjoy your awards show, though! ;)

Scott said...

Heh. I'm not that surprised that you stumbled on some stuff you didn't like (heck, there's some stuff that I think is garbage that gets a ton of play), but I'd also be really surprised if I couldn't find a good portion of what's currently on the radio that you'd like. It's become a pretty diverse genre. But then again, I might have your musical ear totally mispegged :)

If you've what's out there lately and don't like it, you don't like it, and that's cool ;) I just spar with those who put it down and then on further investigation, you find out their concept of what it is about 15-20 years old. As long as you're not one of those, it's all good :)

Okay, back to the TV. Carrie just won an award :)