Thursday, July 10, 2008

Counting my blessings

It's sometimes easy for me, since there are certain aspects of my life that at 28 that are a bit different than I had pictured they would be, to focus on certain things that I don't have I that I would like to, while taking for granted just how blessed I am.

This evening, however, is just not one of those times. In fact, probably the exact opposite, because recent circumstances have me thinking about how I've been blessed so much beyond what I could even claim to "deserve". The Martina McBride song Blessed has really been in my head lately. Now, the specific situations of that song don't really necessarily apply to me, but the truth of the chorus "I have been blessed, and I feel like I've found my way, I thank God for all I've been given at the end of every day. I have been blessed with so much more than I deserve" is really hitting home for me tonight, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, last night my dad and my brother in law came up to "help" me put on two new storm doors and build some shelves in the back room of the basement. I put help in quotes because it would probably be much more accurate to say that I helped them do there work. My spirit is very willing, but these are primarily two man jobs, and I'm clearly the 3rd man in the equation in terms of know how. So, I give them a hand as much as I can, and I'll be painting the shelves myself this weekend. But that's really beside the point, because I was just again struck with how incredibly lucky I am with my family, that they would be willing to give up their evening to drive the hour up here and do this for me, and that that kind of love and support isn't anywhere near an isolated incident. So blessed.

The second thing that has me counting my blessings I'm not going to be able to go into a whole lot of detail about on the public medium of the world wide web, but it has to do with my job situation, and how incredibly it's turned in a positive direction in the last couple months, without me changing jobs or even doing anything particularly noteworthy to effect change. Just another incredible blessing that I really didn't do anything to bring about or deserve.

No comments: