Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Vintage Grape Juice

This happened yesterday, and I was going to post about it yesterday, but I felt like 3 posts in one day after a month of silence was both a bit gratuitous, and would also set a standard that I could possibly hope to come close to ever again. And so, here we are.

Anyhow, I was putting away some dishes yesterday, and I wound up opening a kitchen cabinet that is probably the one I open least frequently. Don't get me wrong, it's not some deep abyss, I probably go into it at least once every month or so. However, there's not much up there that I regularly use. Anyhow, this time, for whatever reason, something caught my attention that I felt was worth investigating. It was an unopened bottle of Giant brand grape juice that made me wonder: "Hmmmm, how long has THAT been in there?" I really didn't know, but I was sure it was a pretty darn long time.

So, I pull the thing out and take a look at the cap. "Sell by: 9/22/04" Whoa. Now, by itself, that might not be the biggest story ever. I'm sure many folks have things that time forgot buried deep in their cupboards. The catch in this case - I've only lived in this house since May 2005.

That's right, when I moved, I brought along a bottle of grape juice that was 7 months expired, and now have kept it for an additional 4 years! Tonight when I got home, I grabbed it and actually opened the thing just to take a whiff, because, well, aren't you almost obligated to do that in such a situation? It still hasn't made it to the dumpster yet, and we'll see just how long that takes.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Aren't you gonna taste it, too? ;)

Scott said...

I considered it, however, thought better of it as I live alone and don't have anyone readily available to drive me to the ER. :)