Friday, January 25, 2008

Charity rewarded

So, I had an interesting day.

The Harrisbury country station had their annual radioathon to raise money for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital yesterday and today. I'd been toying with the idea of becoming a "Partner In Hope" with St. Jude the last couple years, and decided yesterday that I was going to finally go ahead and do it this year. I didn't call in yesterday though. As you probably know if you've ever seen a teleathon/radioathon before, there are often incentives offered to those who donate at certain times. I made the decision to donate independant of any "incentives", but since I had made up my mind to donate anyhow, I figured it wouldn't hurt to wait until an hour in which there was an incentive that I was at least mildly interested in.

As you might remember, a few weeks ago while handing out the OBNOTW award, I jokingly declared that Carrie Underwood was "my girl". From 2 to 3 today, the incentive was to be in a drawing to win one of 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and front row tickets to the upcoming Keith Urban/Carrie Underwood concert in nearby Hershey. Despite my professions of love for Carrie, I wasn't really jumping out of my seat to get into that drawing (not really big into concerts, especially BIG concerts), but it was getting towards the end of the event and I hadn't been even remotely interested in any of the prior incentives, so I figured I'd go ahead and call. Well, when 3 rolled around, they announced that I had won the 5th row tickets. (I'm positive they had the stack of papers upside down and I should have won the front row seats, but what can you do?) First time I can remember winning anything of real significance in a drawing or contest like this.

Anyhow, this rewarding of my charity has left me with a conundrum. For you see, I will have 2 tickets, and the concert just happens to be on Valentine's Day. As a rather single male, I don't have a built in, ready to go date for such occasions as these. I suppose I could attempt to use the lure of Keith Urban to attract a hot date for the evening, but I'm not sure how well I think it would work, as she would likely be spending half the concert gawking at Keith Urban, and I would spend the other half gawking at Carrie Underwood. And not being that into attending the concert, I'm not sure I really feel like just grabbing a random friend to go along with me. Of course, a quick scan of StubHub and eBay has presented me with a 3rd potential option, one which could be quite lucrative.

Decisions, decisions...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is quite the conundrum. :) Cool, though, that you won tickets. My Dad, stepmom, and Sarah have all seen Carrie in concert and thought she was great.

If you aren't able to find someone to go with, I say sell 'em. :)

Scott said...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to at least make an attempt at finding a date of some sorts. I'm not a particularly big fan of Keith Urban's brand of country music, but I hear he's a great performer, and I really do like Carrie for reasons other than her ease on the eyes. And seriously, how often am I going to get a chance to sit that close at a big-time show like that?

If I do end up selling them, I think I'm going to donate half of the money to St. Jude's. The potential of actually making money as the result of an act of charity isn't sitting well in my head as I process it.