Monday, January 28, 2008

SI goes to the birds...

So, I'm on my 3rd issue of Sports Illustrated this week, and we have an early frontrunner for the "Article I least expected to find in my SI" award: a 6 page feature article on pigeon racing.

That's right, pigeon racing. SI devoted a similar amount of type to pigeon racing in this week's issue as they did to last weekend's NFL conference championship games. Admittedly, it was a fun change of pace, but did it really merit a feature article in just about the most well known sports publication in the country?

I don't really have much more to say about this, except a friendly reminder that, no matter how much fun this article makes pigeon racing out to be, pigeons are evil, and should be eradicated from the face of the planet, along with their beach dwelling buddies, seagulls.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

They must have a new editor.... :)

Scott said...

It's more likely that their editorial staff has been paid off by the pro-pigeon lobby. They are surprisingly well funded.

Seriously though, how would you feel about working at SI and being the writer they assigned to do the story on pigeons?

"Ummm, really boss? Pigeons? Come on. Is this about that thing with your wife at the Christmas party. I told you, it was an accident. I was drunk."

I mean, I guess a feature is a feature, but that's a bit out there.