Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Game of Shadows

So, I just finished reading Game of Shadows, the expose on the famed BALCO scandal that blew the lid off the use of performance enhancing drugs in sports - particularly in baseball, and also in track and field. As BALCO's marquee baseball client, Barry Bonds was, of course, prominently discussed in the book as well. The litany of stinging revelations about Bonds within the book are, primarily, made it noteworthy, and Bonds shares the cover of the book with fellow juicer Jason Giambi of the Yankees.

I said as I was getting ready to start the book that I did not approve of the methods of the co-authors, who were reporters for the San Francisco Chronicle and broke a number of the key developments in the BALCO story. I definitely still stand by that. A number of the key breaks in the BALCO story came as a result of leaked grand jury testament. I'm not up on the law as it relates to leaking sealed grand jury testimony, so I don't know whether they are technically criminals, but I would assume they could at least be prosecuted as accessories if someone chose to do so. The fact that they've won awards for their journalism on the BALCO case strikes me as rather ironic, given that they were reporting on people who cheated to achieve awards and records. I won't call their work "cheating", but there was definitely some shadiness to their methods. I also came away less than impressed with their journalistic abilities, aside from those methods, because at several times throughout the book, a clear, personal, anti-Bonds attitude came through.

That being said, they definitely had the story nailed. I didn't expect to come away from this book with a lower opinion of Bonds the person, figuring I knew pretty much all the major details. However, I do have to say there were a number of revelations that did leave me with a lesser opinion of him. To be fair, many of the characterizations of him came from his spurned ex-mistress, and, as I said, the authors didn't give a real show of objectivity when it came to Bonds.

I've heard it said on a number of occasions that the fact that Bonds hasn't sued the authors of this book for defamation is tacit proof that their claims are accurate. I've always been a bit hesitant to buy into that argument, especially for active players. I could understand a player not feeling it would be worth dealing with during the context of preparing for and playing a long baseball season. I do believe that Bonds' team did actually try and prevent the book from being released, but on the grounds that it contained leaked testimony, not that anything was untrue. All that being said, if the claims made in this book are not at least substantially true, it's hard for me to believe a guy like Bonds (who has never backed up a step on this whole issue) wouldn't come out swinging at the authors.

One final note - I did not appreciate the authors grandstanding towards the end of the book about how baseball needed to go back and address all the records and accomplishment that had been tainted by steroid use. The book is presented as a journalistic work, a detailed accounting of the facts of the BALCO scandal. And yet here at the end we have an opinion which is ultimately passed off as a fact in the context of the book. My stance on dealing with the past has been made clear, and so I won't go into it again in this space. This was just another item that led me to question the kind of journalists we were dealing with here.

All in all, pretty good read, and more informative than I expected. I have a couple other books dealing with baseball and steroids in my pile, but the next book to come off the non-fiction pile is going to be C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain. On the fiction side, I should be wrapping up The Two Towers this week and moving on to the third volume of the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Ooh, The Problem of Pain is a toughie. :)

Andrew Stevens said...

I had consistently defended Bonds during the steroids whispers. (Frankly, when he came out in '99 or 2000 or whatever with a significant weight gain, I wasn't thinking steroids. I was thinking cheeseburgers. However, I wasn't seeing him with his shirt off.) The publication of Game of Shadows made me change my mind.

I'm actually frequently wrong due to my mulish insistence on observing innocence until proven guilty, but that's a trade-off I'm willing to accept. I defended Pete Rose until Tommy Gioiosa gave his interview to Vanity Fair, for example, mostly due to serious problems with the Dowd evidence which Dowd never acknowledged in his report, making me doubt the man's due diligence.

Regardless of how they obtained the evidence, it did appear that they had the goods on Bonds.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your complaint about their opinion at the end. Robert Peterson wrote a terrific book on the Negro Leagues in 1970 called Only the Ball was White. It was entirely factual reporting throughout, but in the end he added an epilogue which called for the greatest Negro League players to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and not in a separate but equal display, segregated in death as they were in life, but right next to Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc. The Hall of Fame (which had already been pressured by Ted Williams for this in his induction speech in 1966) gave in and agreed to give them full-fledged induction in 1971. I do think it's all right for non-fiction authors to give their opinions on the subject as long as it's clearly delineated and obviously an opinion. (And the opinion you describe couldn't possibly be mistaken for anything but an opinion.) While I don't agree with the opinion of the authors, I think it's perfectly fine for them to give it.

On a lighter note, I'm glad to see you're reading the Inklings. I have no idea if this is your first time through those books, but Tolkien's world-building is still second to none and C.S. Lewis is the greatest Christian apologist since Aquinas Problem of Pain is his best monolithic work though God in the Dock is better overall, I think. I'm not ranking here his non-apologetics like The Abolition of Man, The Four Loves, and A Grief Observed.

Scott said...

I don't know. It is clearly an opinion if you dissect it, but they way it's presented seems like an attempt to pass opinion off as fact.

And this is my first time through Tolkien, and will be my first time through The Problem of Pain, though I've read other Lewis books before.

This is really the first time I've been serious about reading since about junior high, so I've got too much "catching up" to do to think about re-reading books I've already handled once.