Friday, May 09, 2008

A few notes

#1. This week, I got loaned out to do some work for another department at work, so rather than working at my normal desk in my normal building, I'm working at PENNDOT's main headquarters in downtown Harrisburg for the next several weeks. This is a nice change of pace, it's higher profile work, and it should be good resume building as well. There's only one problem: I discovered today that the building I'm working in now appears to be impervious to AM radio waves. That totally sucks, because it means that unless I can find something to rectify the problem and get reception at my desk, I'm going to be without my daily fix of Dan Patrick and Jim Rome indefinitely. So, there's a good possibility I'll be less connected than usual with the sports media for the foreseeable future.

#2. One connection to the sports media that no building can take away from me is my Sports Illustrated subscription, and I started into the current issue (it comes in the mail on Thursday) over lunch today. SI informs me that Jose Canseco is not only working on a 3rd book (this time, a novel about a baseball cloning conspiracy), but is also working on a movie about his life. The kicker with the movie is that he plans on having a reality show to choose the "lucky" individual who will get to portray him in the movie. I'm not sure what bothers me more - the idea of a show featuring a bunch of guys trying their best to act like Canseco, or the knowledge that people will likely actually watch it.

#3. This isn't particularly breaking news, but I do have to express my frustration over it. I devoted sometime to the scandal at Indiana surrounding recruiting violations by then basketball coach Kelvin Sampson. Sampson was let go from Indiana after agreeing to a 750,000 dollar buyout of his remaining contract, and until recently was doing some consulting work for the San Antonio Spurs. Sampson has been hired as an assistant coach by the Milwaukee Bucks. On the flip side, Indiana's basketball program is in shambles heading into the upcoming season. New coach Tom Crean (who was a very good hire, in my opinion) is left with only 4 players returning from last year's team, after a wave of transfers, cuts, and other things. It is going to be a VERY difficult next couple of years for Crean and IU as a result of the fallout from Sampson's scandal. There is something fundamentally offensive to me about the idea of the misbehaving coach getting a nice sum of money and a job in the NBA, while the school and many of the kids he left in his wake flounders. And yet, I really don't know what was to be done in this situation. Sampson would have zero chance of getting another college job right now, and it's not like the NCAA can extend it's punishment to prevent him from taking an NBA job. It would be nice, for once, to see a stand taken with someone in Sampson's position, and not just brush aside offenses because he's a heck of a coach. But talent always gets another chance. I don't have a ton of sympathy for IU, they knew what they were getting when they brought Sampson in, but still, sometimes there just isn't justice.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

There is something fundamentally offensive to me about the idea of the misbehaving coach getting a nice sum of money and a job in the NBA, while the school and many of the kids he left in his wake flounders.

Yeah, that doesn't seem quite fair.