Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Movie answers

Since no one else seems interested in guessing, and since I don't have any brilliant ideas for a regular entry today, here are the answers for my movie quiz. Amanda wins, almost essentially by default. "De-fault! The two greatest words in the English language!"

#1. Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - This is one of Lance Armstrong's lines from what may be my all-time favorite single scene in any comedy. One of the most incredible guilt trips EVER.

#2. What we do in life... echos in eternity. Gladiator - Maximus says this to his troops as he's firing them up before the opening battle. Gladiator had about a 2 1/2 year run as my all-time favorite movie, and then I saw the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

#3. I have respect for beer. I have respect for beer! A Beautiful Mind - I'm guessing no one had this line coming from a former Best Picture winner, but it comes from an exchange between John Nash and his first delusion, his "roommate", Charles, who has just acknowledged a lack of respect for cognitive reverie, but announced ernormous respect for pizza, and of course beer.

#4. I trust everyone. It's the devil inside them I don't trust. The Italian Job - This is a saying of master thief (and deceased from the early scenes of the movie) John Bridger that his daughter Stella picked up. Were it not for Ocean's 11, The Italian Job would be my favorite crime related movie ever. I left Ocean's 11 out of the contest because I assumed I'd have to go uber-obscure to have a chance of slipping a line from that one by my readship.

#5. So long, Earth. Catch you on the flip side. Apollo 13 - Jack Sweigert says this while looking out the shuttle window just before passing onto the dark side of the moon.

#6. Oh, I don't think anybody could puke more than that kid. I think I saw a boot come out of him. The Wedding Singer - Robbie Hart, in reference to a young boy who got himself some alcohol at a wedding reception and had a less than pleasant experience with it.

#7. In case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night! TheTruman Show - Truman's standard morning greeting.

#8. "Is them 'is brains, doctor?" "No, that's just dried blood. THOSE are his brains." Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Yes, I was (and continue to be) to some degree, a fan of Russell Crowe's work. This, however, is not his character from that movie. The ship's doctor is performing head surgery on one of the crew, many of whom are looking on in wonder.

#9. I will bring you hope, old friend. And I ask only one thing in return: don't get in my way. X-Men - Magento's response to Xavier's statement that he's looking for hope in Magneto's thoughts.

#10. Earn this. Saving Private Ryan - Tom Hanks' character to Private Ryan as he and the rest of the platoon are dying to keep Ryan alive.

#11, Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. The Shawshank Redemption - Red's cynical response to Andy's belief that you have to keep up hope, even inside the prison walls. Little did Red know...

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh man, I've seen at least 9 of those!! (I think I fell asleep during Master and Commander.)

Scott, those were great quotes, though.

I should have known more....

:)

Andrew Stevens said...

Homer Simpson in The Simpsons.

Scott said...

Well played, Mr. Stevens.

Amanda said...

"The thing about my family is that there's 5 of us. Marge, Bart, girl Bart, the quiet one, and the fat guy. How I loathe him!"

:D

Scott said...

"Oh, why do we always have one good kid and one lousy kid? Why can't both our kids be good?"

"We have 3 kids, Homer."

"Marge, the dog doesn't count as a kid."

Andrew Stevens said...

I didn't enter your quote contest because I take Homer's dictum to heart: "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

Amanda said...

LOL!

Tim has a "Simpson quote of the day" on his iGoogle page. They've started to recycle now, but they're quite amusing. :)

sarah said...

whoops! sorry for not playing your movie quote game. i must say that i was drawing a complete blank. though i only mulled over the quotes for a minute or so. :) then i cheated since the answers were already posted. :) sadly i hadn't seen or only watched once more than half of these movies; even though i should see them all since they are "classics".

i'm so happy with my evil plan! *mischievous face*

Scott said...

Evil plan? Where?

*hides*

Amanda said...

"Say goodbye to music, gym, and art!
*something, something, something*
Where fun and learning never start!
DA DA DA DA DA DA DA!"