Friday, May 23, 2008

Musings and happens from the last 24 hours or so...

#1 - The new softball glove made it's debut last night, to mixed reviews. Of course, a brand new baseball glove offers similar difficulties to those of a too old glove, though for difference reasons. I think I've done about as good a job as I can of softening the glove up prior to game action, but there's only so much I can do, so it's still got some stiffness to it. I had another over the shoulder, back to the infield catch, and of course, it popped out of the glove. This one wasn't quite so dramatic, because it rolled back down into my body, and I basically knelt down and held it in my lap. But I've got to keep these balls in the glove. The umpire really can't see what's happening in these situations, and one of these times they're going to see the ball leave the glove and just assume I dropped it.

#2 - Since I left work early yesterday, I took the later bus today, as I mentioned yesterday, avoiding the mystery of the missing 3:25 bus. Anyhow, there was a different driver on the 4:10 bus than I'd seen before. There are a couple things you don't want to hear when you're on a bus (already later than usual) on your way home for a long weekend. One of them is your bus driver realizing she screwed up the route and announcing that we have to loop back through downtown Harrisburg at rush hour. Another is her explaining that the reason she made the mistake was that she was so concerned about the bus because "the fast idle is broken and if we idle long enough, the bus will shutoff". Fortunately, the bus never shut down, and I made it home safely, though a bit later than expected.

#3 - Sitting at a traffic light for a split second after it turns because you were fiddling around with your GPS might merit a little alert honk from the person behind you. What it does not merit is said person behind you flipping you off repeated while mimicking your GPS fiddling motion for about half a mile down the road. For the record, Mr. Trucker with an obvious anger management problem, I was on the gas before you even beeped. Seriously, I actually saw the light change and couldn't have hesitated more than a half second. There was traffic on the other side of the intersection and I was well into the intersection before the first car went by on the other side.

#4 - They few things in life that are better than spending a Friday dinner with a bunch of your good friends, eating, talking, and laughing. Of course, it does mitigate the joy some when the occasion for the gathering is that one of the friends is moving away, but it was still an awesome evening, that was topped off by a drive towards an absolutely beautiful sunset on the way home. There are some parts of creation that man will never be able to screw up!

No comments: