Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Waiting is the hardest part...

So, it would appear that I chose to commemorate the one year anniversary of the re-launch of this blog with the longest posting drought in it's history. That's just how I roll.

Really, however, I blame the World Series. For most of the last week, I've either been getting ready for, watching, or napping to recover from watching late the night before, the Series. If the weather hadn't intervened, there would be a fair chance that it would be done right now. However, if you're paying attention, you know that Monday night's Game 5 was suspended due to rain, and is just set to resume tonight, in the bottom of the 6th, with the game tied 2-2, and the Phillies holding a 3-1 Series lead. So, assuming that there are no extra innings, the Phillies are either 3.5 innings away from their 2nd World Championship, or 3.5 innings away from a plane ride to Tampa for Game 6 tomorrow night.

I gotta say, I thought the individual tension of the games would be the worst thing ever, in terms of sports fandom, but it hasn't been so much. This wait, however, has been absolutely killer. The series has just been sitting in limbo for almost 48 hours. I can't wait for it to get started, so that the Phillies can either get this done, or at the very least, move on to their second chance to clinch in Game 6. I don't know that I've ever experienced anything quite like this. I suppose the closest equivalent situation in recent World Series history would have been the 11 day delay in the '89 Series between Oakland and San Francisco, which was caused by a major earthquake in the Bay Area just as Game 3 was about to start. That, however, had a couple things that I'm sure made it much different for the fans of those teams. First of all, Game 3 was not a deciding game, and hadn't started. And secondly, a major earthquake in your area does things to take your mind of off sports that a little bit of wind, rain, and cold just doesn't.

So, hopefully this game will get played tonight, and hopefully the Phillies will win and the Series will end. Regardless, I think the return of truly regular blogging on this site may have to wait until the Series comes to a conclusion. Hopefully, that won't be long at all.

No comments: