Monday, June 30, 2008

A bizarre game of chicken

So, I've been playing a very bizarre game of chicken with Columbia House for the last year or so.

Here's the background: Several years ago, probably within the first year after I graduated from college, I joined Columbia House's DVD club and got the promotional deal at the outset - something like 5 DVDs for a buck, or whatever. Don't really remember, isn't really important. Anyhow, as I'm sure you all know, after that, you then have so much time (like a year) to fulfill your membership commitment by purchasing more DVDs (I think it was 3 in this case, again, not important) at full price. Full price, of course, being dramatically more expensive than said DVDs would be at your average Wal-Mart, Circuit City, etc. Anyhow, at some point I fulfilled my membership commitment, at which point you no longer are on the hook to buy anything, but you keep getting their promo stuff, and you still have the "Director's Selection", which is the DVD they will send you every month if you don't tell them not to.

Over the first couple years after fulfilling the membership commitment, I probably forgot to decline the Director's Selection 3-4 times. No problem - they charge my credit card and ship it to me, I take it out of the mailbox, write "Refused: Return to Sender" on the box, and put it back in the mailbox, getting a credit back to my card. No harm, no foul. Anyhow, last year, I went through a spell where I forgot about 3 director's selection declines in about 6 months. After this, I got a letter reminding me that I can actually decline these DVDs, and that excessive returns is a cause for membership cancellation. It also went on to explain how the process of them sending me DVDs and me returning them costs them (true) and me (false) money.

So, I thought "Great, go ahead and cancel my membership." I'd prefer to have it cancelled anyhow, but it's not costing me any money, and there's nothing I hate more than calling to cancel something like this. I know for a fact that, despite the reality that my membership has actually cost them money over the last 3-4 years, I'll have to endure a sales pitch and probably multiple people trying to convince me to stay. So, while I'm not being ignorant and just letting every Director's selection come to me, I haven't made any special efforts to make sure I decline them either. Well, we're about a year, and probably 6 returns later, and I'm still a Columbia House member. I just got my second Director's Selection in a row today (the one from last month that I returned was just credited back to my account a few days ago). Perhaps 2 in a row will be the straw that broke the camel's back. I can only hope.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh man... That's why I've never joined clubs like that. lol Too much work.