Sunday, June 08, 2008

Aren't you all lucky?

Well, I'm not on blogging duty for the team tonight, and I still have my internet connected computer, so you lucky readers of my blog will be blessed with a fresh post once again!

It is HOT in Bangkok. In a lot of ways, the extent to which this kind of weather is oppressive to myself and the team is a by product of the overly cool spring we've had to date. The current weather isn't really THAT much different from a typical late May, early June day in PA, but we haven't had many of those thus far, so we weren't nearly as adjusted as I figured we would be when we set the dates for the trip.

We went to a massive market in Bangkok today, with all sorts of craft, food, and other vendors around. Crazy busy, and very, very close in the parts that were under tents. Early readers of this blog may remember my grocery store rant. This market confirmed just about every theory I had related to that rant, and probably put me on the way to developing a few more. It's a total sensory overload thing.

One of the highlights of today was our trip to the top of Baiyoke Sky Tower, which is the tallest building in Thailand. There's a little more to the building, but we topped out at the 84th story and the revolving observation deck, which unfortunately wasn't revolving. We went to this place last time I was in Bangkok, but in the daytime. Tonight we were there just after sunset. Bangkok is a very impressive site to see. Unlike typical American (particularly EastCoast) cities, which mainly have grown by going up, Bangkok just sprawls. I have no idea what your actual visibility range is from 84 stories up, but the bottom line is that you can't see to the end of Bangkok on any side from the top of Baiyoke. Making tonight even more fascinating was the fact that we got to watch a storm roll in from miles off in the distance. That is, of course, until the lightning got too close for comfort, which of course was long, long before it would have been an actual threat.

No comments: