Monday, October 22, 2007

Don't Blink

I was at my 5 year college reunion over the weekend. I assume it's natural to be in a reflective mode after one attends such an event, and that's where I find myself right now. As an aside, I also find myself in denial of that fact that it has actually been 5 years since I graduated college, which I also assume is natural. I could be wrong about that, but if I am, don't tell me, as I prefer blissful ignorance in this area. One thing I am certain of is that they are admitting kids to college at a younger age now than they did when I attended, because there is no way I was as young as the current crop of college students are back when I roamed the Messiah College campus. But I digress....

So yes, I've been rather reflective after my day of reconnecting with friends I hadn't seen in many years, and hearing about the changes in their lives since we last spoke - weddings, children, career changes, etc. Within the confines of my everyday routine, where change occurs relatively slowly and right in front of me, it's easy to lose track of the passing of time. Stepping out of that to an event like a reunion, however, makes it very easy to see just how much time has passed, in what seems like the blink of an eye.

I'm a confessed fan of country music, and my favorite song that's currently on the country chart is Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink". One of my attractions to country music is a personal affinity towards songs that have messages that are simple, yet highly profound, and I saw that in this song even before this weekend's events made drove the message home for me in a way I'd not yet grasped.

I've only lived 27 years, so I can't speak to whether 100 years actually goes faster than you might think, but I know that the last 5 years have gone much faster than I would have ever guessed. I look back on a lot of things that I wish I could have done differently, while at the same time seeing so many great experiences that I would never trade. I see much time well spent, and yet also more time wasted than I would care to admit.

One of the results of all this reflection is what you see before you now, the resurrection of this blog after more than 2 years of inactivity. My desire is to one day making a career out of writing something more interesting than technical documentation, and so upon reflection, it is absolutely clear that I need spend more of my time right now, well, writing things that are more interesting than technical documentation. This is my forum for that. I also see rejoining the blogosphere as an opportunity to maintain a connection with friends who I had all but lost contact with, though I would have never intentionally wished for that to happen. We shall see.

Anyhow, my intention is to be more faithful this time around. I still plan on pursuing sportswriting, so you're going to see a lot of sports on this blog. However, I will be sure to include plenty of other pieces to keep the attention of those who might have an interest in what's going on in my head, but have no interest in sports. All of that is to say, welcome, and I hope you find something worthwhile here that keeps you coming back.

No comments: