Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life Lessons from the Trials of an Overexcited Mutt

I hear parents talk quite often about lessons they've learned about God through experiences they have with their kids, and I find that to be a very awesome thing. I have no children, so I have to get my object lessons through other sources. One of the prime sources of late has been this guy right here:This is Chaser. (Awwwwwww, isn't he cute?) Chaser is aptly named, because he is very high energy and is often chasing one thing or another. He's a mix of a yellow lab and a terrier, and if you know a little about dogs, you know that is a very interesting combo. Suffices to say, he is "spirited" and has times where he'd rather not waste a moment standing still.

This evening, after I finished walking him, I was removing his walking harness. I unbuckled the main clip and was taking it down off his legs, with the leash still attached to it. Usually he's pretty good about stepping out and letting me pull the harness away, but today he was in a hurry for some reason and went tearing off as soon as I got the harness down near his feet. The harness caught on his back legs, and since I was still holding the leash, he was tripped up and went sprawling, harness still wrapped around his legs. He was not pleased with me in the least, and let me know it. He got what he wanted, his freedom from the harness, it just came with an unwanted price because he didn't have the patience to do it my way. And it actually took longer for him to get out than it would have if he had let me do it the right way.

.

As I reflected on this incident, it occurred to me how often I assume Chaser's role in my relationship with God. I have a goal in mind, one that I believe that God has given me. Rather than looking to Him for His guidance and timing, working in concert with Him, and allowing Him to prepare the way, I get impatient and go off running. And what happens? I trip over something He was trying to get out of my way, and I fall on my face. I may ultimately acheive the goal in mind, but I experience unnecessary pain and frustration in the process, and often slow down the process. It's a lesson I come back to time and time again, learning it a little better each time, I hope. Here's hoping it doesn't take me as many times to learn as it has Chaser.....

No comments: